Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Beauty of Emotional Vomit

The very best marriage material we have discovered lately has been by Alison Armstrong.  She is the founder of the organization PAX international.   For our belated 15th anniversary, we decided to go to LA to hear her speak.  Here's a pic of the 3 of us!    

What do we like about her stuff?

She just gets it!!

Gets WHAT? you might ask.

She gets us!!  You and me!  Men and women!

Here's a super simple example of what I'm talking about that happened just today. 

A woman was fairly (ok, really!)  rude to me as I was walking in the library parking lot with one of my girls.  I was shocked by her lack of personal boundaries and I tried to just walk past her and ignore her.  I couldn't.  I rose my voice, attempted to thank her for her concern (not overly nice), and then proceeded to tell her that I will decide what I need to do for my family and that I didn't need her input!  I wasn't super proud of my actions toward her and innerwardly felt angry at this lady and myself, for allowing myself to get so upset and lose control.  

As I pulled out of the parking lot, trying to breathe slowly & trembling with emotions, I called Kurt.  I asked him to hold the bucket for me.

What?  Hold the bucket?

Yes!  Hold the bucket!  

Something I learned from Alison is that, as women, often we need to simply dump and get it all out, otherwise known as holding the bucket.  I needed to, for lack of better words, "vomit" it all up and have Kurt just be there holding the bucket for me.

He didn't need to fix anything.  

He didn't need to do anything.

Rather, I just simply needed him to listen, empathize and let me share.  

And so I did!

This was sooo helpful!  And then I thanked him for his time, for listening, and for not trying to fix the situation.  On his own, he reminded me that I was a good mom (I really needed to hear that) and to try and forgive what that woman said.  

Again, just what I needed.  

I felt much better.  The tension in me was releasing.  Him holding the bucked allowed me to let go.  

I asked him to pray for me to move on and not rehearse the situation over and over in my head.  It really helped me get past the situation and keep it from ruining my morning.

Sigh (deep breath!)....

Just a small example, but that's how Alison gets us, as women.   Her 20-plus years of research of understanding men and women, has been a huge blessing to Kurt and me.  If you're looking for some new material for your marriage, maybe Alison's insight is just what you need.  You can find her at www.understandmen.com


No comments:

Post a Comment