Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Do Something Crazy

When we were young, we all wanted to do something crazy.

Ride a really steep roller coaster

Blast music from our car

Speed down the highway

Break some rules

Pull a prank.

Well, my wife today is doing something crazy.  That's why she isn't writing posts this week, because she's off doing something crazy.

The thing is that, unlike the crazy stuff we did when we were young, this crazy stuff is actually meaningful.

So, get this: my wife is at a monastery.  Now, that, my friends, is crazy!

She will soon be marking her fortieth year and I wanted to give her space, time, and peace to reflect on where she's come and to dream of what the years ahead could be.

I heard a podcast of a guy who did a silent retreat and thought it was really amazing-to be crazy-to step out of all the noise of the world, the busyness of regular life, and step away from all the daily demands of regular life and just get in touch with God and yourself.

When I suggested it to Beth she loved the idea, so we figured out how to make it work so she could get away for several days and I could take care of the kiddos.

So, for the next several days Beth will be reading, journaling, walking, napping, thinking, praying, and just being.  I am so excited for all that will go on in her heart and I'm sure she'll share a few of those reflections in upcoming posts.
-------------
For those interested, we've found that in most cases you don't need to be connected to the particular denomination of the monastery in order to attend.  The one Beth went to happens to be a Lutheran monastery in Michigan called St. Augustine's House.  It's very inexpensive and very welcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment