Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday: Wisdom from Peyton Manning on marriage 2

Denver Brocos QB Peyton Manning, at Leadercast 2015, explained that his coaches give him grade sheets after every game. 

Manning said, "You can't be afraid to work on your weaknesses.  You can't just work on your strengths.  It may be embarrassing."  

It's pretty obvious that it's really tough to be honest about your weaknesses.  When your spouse points out a weakness in your relationship skills, that can feel, well, demeaning. 

"You should love me the way I am"

or

"Deal with it."

These are the responses we often say either inside or out loud to our spouse's recognition of our weaknesses. 

The question to ask, though, is: 

if I don't work on this, what am I gaining? 


If Peyton Manning didn't work on his weaknesses what would he gain?  His pride?  No, he'd gain a lost job. 

I struggle at wanting to go through Beth's lists of "things to talk about."  This is all about scheduling things: when can we have so-and-so over, when can we wash the windows, can you call your mom and ask about this-or-that?  

Dealing with those lists is honestly a weakness of mine.  I can get downright sullen when we do it.

I have had to work, and I mean work, at making time for this on a daily basis and keeping an upbeat disposition.  It is hard, hard, hard! 

But I have gained a much happier and less stressful wife.  She appreciates it and seems lighter. 

The challenge here is to be like Manning and face your weaknesses and try to tackle them (heh.  Did you catch my football allusion?!)


No comments:

Post a Comment