Monday, December 7, 2015

I (name) take you (name) for the most part...as long as you're not crabby


Imagine if these were the vows you took on your wedding day:

I, (name), take you (name), for the most part, to be my (wife/husband/roommate/theguywhotakesouthtegarbage/theladythatcooksdinner), 

to have and to hold, when I feel like it, from this day forward, but a lot fewer days as the years drag on, 

for better or for worse, but don't expect much during the 'worse' part, 

for richer, though we're not going to have a lot of talk time because I'll be working so much to make us rich, for poorer, but don't expect sex while we're poorer, 

in sickness and in health, as long as you're not crabby, 

to love, or like-isn't that enough?, 

and to cherish (your paycheck); 

from this day forward until death do us part; Oh, God, let it come soon because I'm going to get tired of this guy/girl.

Hopefully, that is as laughable to read as it was for me to write.  No one vows that.  Who the heck is longing for a lukewarm marriage?  

No one, right?

But are the seeds of lukewarm already planted or even growing in your marriage?  

What will you do today to change the direction your marriage is heading?

I know.  I don't know your marriage, the struggles you have, your spouse who won't do anything to help, or the hurts you've experienced.  You're right.

But I do know that at one point in your life, you dreamed about a life-giving love, and I want to encourage you to not let that dream slip away.  Maybe it already has.  But is there something, by the grace of God, that you can do to chase that dream again?  

1 comment:

  1. As painful as the challenges of marriage are, I would have it no other way than to have God challenge us to share His grace, forgiveness, and servant heart toward one another. We may be believers that marry, but we are still imperfect and need to live out what it means to love a redeemed sinner. For Christ loved us while we were still sinners and we must display love in the midst of the most meaningful relationship we have outside of the one we have with Christ. -Matthew Marcum

    ReplyDelete