Monday, February 22, 2016

Acts of Service: house projects can turn you on!

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away Beth and I didn't have kids!  It's hard to remember that time!  One memory does stick out, though.

I had come home after a long day at work to find Beth in the basement.  She was really in a peppy
mood too.  You see, she had organized and cleaned our oh, so cluttered space.  It truly was a big undertaking.  I could tell she was really proud of it as she showed me around what she had done.  "Way to go!" I thought.

I don't know exactly when she finally told me this, but she was a bit disappointed.  She had done all this for...me.  Me?  I didn't get it.  She thought this would really be an awesome way to do something sweet and loving for me.  This was an early indication that, first of all, my love language was anything but acts of service, and, more importantly, that Beth's love language had a dart sticking right into the bullseye of that "acts of service"!

This confused me a great deal as a young husband.  Love and touch were, to me obvious ways to express love.  Heck, isn't that what you do, especially when you want to turn a girl on?  You romance her with words and with romantic touch.

Oh!!!  Those were MY love languages!  (I was starting to get it!)

I honestly had to take language classes on this one because I didn't see how cleaning a basement or hanging a picture on a wall would make my wife feel loved, let alone romantic, but I was wrong.

I still don't feel love this way myself, but I've learned to help Beth out, do nice house projects, or even just fix things around the house.  I've trained my brain to remember that this is one of the best ways to drop love deposits in her bank account and, surprisingly, it even stokes the home fires too!

No comments:

Post a Comment