Monday, August 24, 2015

Arguments and feeling worthless

So, I pull up to a bank with three of our kids in the back seat.

I get out, lock the car, and walk to the ATM.  It is barely a few feet away from the car and I can see it
perfectly.  I realize when I enter that I have left my bank card at home.

Having been in the ATM lobby less than 45 seconds, I turn around to go back to the car and hold the door open for a woman.

She then proceeds criticize me for leaving my kids in the car.

As I'm driving away I'm thinking of all these arguments I could have had from "I was only in the bank for 45 seconds!" to "Who do you think you are, telling me what to do?"

Despite feeling justified in my choice, I begin to feel that creeping sense of worthlessness that I often experience when criticized.  My thoughts then go hunting for a source of worth-building material.  I consider what a good parent I am, how my marriage is something I feel proud of, how our videography business has grown, the positive impact we have on others, and on and on trying to shoo away one stranger's criticism.

But then I realize, this 'Kurt's movie credits' list is only partially helpful.  And when it comes to worth, partial help leaves you feeling restless.

Finally, I turned to the words of an ancient poet that I memorized many years ago just for these very moments.

"My soul finds rest in God alone."
(Psalm 62)

So, I turned to the center and rested there.

No comments:

Post a Comment