Monday, August 31, 2015

3 Adventure Movies with passion

Like every boy growing up I loved adventure movies.

Indiana Jones

Romancing the Stone

Crocodile Dundee

These are just a few films that graced the VHS player in our family living room in the 1980's.  Besides beating up Nazis and wrestling crocodiles the next best part of imagining being the hero was rescuing the pretty girl.  Before I was old enough to like real, live girls, I knew I wanted to rescue them.

I love the image of the ruddy, muscular hero, cradling the frightened girl in his left arm, while holding a vine (or some other escape route) in the other.  Noticeably, neither the guy nor damsel in distress looked at each other; their eyes were ahead of themselves-on the mission ahead.

While I love looking in my girl's eyes, I also love the fact that we look forward together with a shared sense of mission.  Beth and I share a heart to encourage relationships and to help people connect with God in a real way.  So much of what we do with our lives and our parenting has to do with these shared visions.

Certainly, we have separate passions too.  But even that is shared because we are both committed to encouraging each other's passions.

All of these things give us a bigger picture in life and help us see our marriage in the context of a desire to "change the world."

Do you and your spouse have a shared passion?  Have you talked about it?  Is there a way to get your hearts behind it intentionally?


Maybe you don't share the same vision, but can you together work to help each other pursue your individual passions?

The first step for each of these is simply to talk: Ask your spouse, "What are you passionate about?"  and don't criticize it.  Then ask, "What can I do to support you in it?"

Then go out there and beat up those Nazis and wrestle some crocodiles!  G'day, mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment