Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sweet Potato Biscuits: Happiness incarnate

So, this past weekend we had our crazy OAMC (Once-a-month-cooking) extravaganza.  This can always be a little stressful.  I compiled a list of all the spring and summer recipes I have tried or want to try from my Barefoot Contessa's (Ina Garten) cookbooks. 

Grilled Salmon and Guacamole Sandwiches - Delisssh!



Pasta, Pesto & Pea Salad -  YUM!! 

Strawberry Country Cake - Mary Ella, our soon to be 4 year old, claimed that one for her birthday cake!  :)

The bottom line though, is to keep it simple. 

Yummy, as healthy as we can be, and simple! 

On fun, new recipe I tried for the first time was Ina's granola bars.  They are amazing!  Honestly, I don't think I've ever eaten a granola bar this good! And again, I've frozen them, and when we want them, can take them out an hour or a couple of minutes before I want to eat them, and they're yummy, healthy and simple all in one!

Here's another new recipe that I'm really excited about:  Sweet Potato Biscuits.

I do the 3 fold check:

Yummy  - well, I don't know.  First time for everything!  But I love really sweet potatoes fries, sweet potatoe casserole...etc.  anything with sweet potatoes, so here's for hoping!

Healthy - yep!  The recipe (below) comes from a cookbook titled Healthy Choices -
No Sugar, No White Flour, No Artificial Anything.  Check!

Simple - here's the best part.  Once, I baked the sweet potatoes, I threw the rest of the ingredients together and with my cookie scoop, I measured these bad boys out and froze them.  So, I have homemade biscuits ready for any meal.

For the cooks out there, here's the recipe:

Sweet Potato Biscuits
2 c. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. oil
1 c. mashed sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. milk


Preheat oven to 400.  Add dry ingredients.  Add in the butter and oil.  Throw in the potatoes.  Add milk to make a moist dough.  ( I added a little cinnamon for fun and flavor!)  Use a large cookie scoop and measure out on a dry cookie sheet.  Bake for 15-20 min.    Or freeze and then store until needed.  You can bake them frozen for 20-25 min.  These are super moist and delish served with butter and honey!  

Enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment