Monday, March 21, 2016

Marriage cliches: "Love is Blind"

Do you ever look at your spouse, remembering how mesmerized you were by her, and say to
yourself, "Shoot, I married a human"?

Ok, probably not in those words.

The cliche goes like this: "Love is blind."  In the early stages it really is.  It really can't help itself.  Time and experience are limited at that point and all that you see is possibilities.

After you marry, you can't stay blind because, well, she's a l w a y s there.  Now there are weaknesses and quirks to deal with too.  Love ain't blind no more.  Your eyes are wide open and you got a real human on your hands.

This is where it gets tough.  What do you do with the reality before you?

I'll tell you what I do: I remind myself what a privilege it is to know someone so deeply, warts and all.  No one else gets this chance.  Only I have the opportunity to know and love this woman in my life.  She turned aside all the other men on the globe and gave her life to me.  I want to cherish, love, nature, and laugh with her.  I want to make her, well, happy.

I also do this: I remember when I was single and it was so crazy to think that I could have woman that was all my own.  It was like a fantasy!  And now...I've got one!  This woman is my woman!  She digs me!  I get to not only live life with her, but I get to kiss her and hold her and, you know!

This is not to forget that some of you have spouses that have serious issues.  Can you help her get the help she needs?  Will you be willing to go to counseling with her?  Will you be up for finding a counselor or doctor for her to visit?  Will you be willing to listen to her, even if it's painful?

These are tough, no doubt, and sometimes all you can do is pray.

But whatever the issues, train your heart in gratitude and remember the honor it is to be her man.

No comments:

Post a Comment