Recently we took a delightful vacation with my parents and our kids. We had a ball swimming at the hotel pool, going out to eat, visiting a castle (yes, a castle in Ohio!), and riding rides at Kings Island amusement park.
Honestly, it was a wonderful trip, but Beth and I kept running into a problem: we missed each other. But we're on vacation! How could that be?
The question is: how do you stay connected as a couple in the midst of all of that? I can't say we succeeded in our case. Instead, it was a situation to learn from. Here's a few of my ideas:
- make a point to get to bed a little earlier so we can have time to talk or do something fun together.
- if grandparents are along, ask them to hang with the kids, even for just a short while, so we can go for a walk or out to eat.
- get some quality "shower" time together (if making it in the bed ain't gonna happen with the kids in the next room)
- get up a little earlier to get some time together
- institute a daily rest time for the whole family for napping, reading, or quiet playing so the two of you can get a little reprieve.
We've got one more vacation coming this summer so we'll see if we can take our own advice!